Say’s Bread Pudding with Bourbon Icing
This is actually a variation on my mother’s bread pudding. My mother, Say, adds much more butter and bourbon than we do at the Market, but our version is just as delicious
Makes One 13 by 9-inch Pudding; Serves 10 to 12
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 of a baguette or 9 cups cubed bread (day-old or leave to dry for several hours after it has been cubed or torn into large pieces)
4 cups milk
5 large eggs
3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup bourbon
1 recipe Bourbon Icing (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brush a 13 by 9 by 3-inch glass baking dish with 4 tablespoons of the melted butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the dish and set aside.
3. Cut or tear the bread into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Pour the milk over the bread and let stand 4 to 5 minutes, until the bread is soft.
4. Combine the eggs, granulated sugar, remaining butter, and vanilla in a separate bowl and whisk together until well blended.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the bread-and-milk mixture; add the raisins and stir to mix.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, cover, and bake 50 to 60 minutes. Uncover, return to the oven, and continue to bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the pudding is puffy and golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven, pour the bourbon over the top of the pudding, and set aside to cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Top with the icing while the pudding is still warm.
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup bourbon
Makes About 1 1/2 Cups
1. Place the butter in a saucepan and melt over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
2. Whisk in the sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, and stir to mix until all the sugar is blended.
3. Stir in the cream and bourbon and whisk to blend thoroughly, until the icing is thick and creamy. Pour directly onto the top of the pudding while it is still warm. Serve immediately.