Cream Cheese Pound Cake
This rich, dense cake keeps well and freezes beautifully. Try it with fresh peaches, sorbet, ice cream or fruit compote
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch bundt pan and set aside
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and stir to mix. Set aside.
4. Cream together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar in a separate bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
5. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix until well blended.
6. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat just until the dry ingredients are moist and blended. Do not overmix.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. (Note: The batter will be very thick.) Bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Remove from the over and cool 20 to 30 minutes in the pan. Turn the cake out of the pan and continue to cool on a baking rack.
variations: You can also add spices – up to 2 teaspoons total – such as cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, or allspice, to the batter. Try lemon or almond extract instead of vanilla; fold in chopped dried fruit or nuts, if desired. One cup sour cream can be substituted for the cream cheese for a slightly different taste and texture.