These big, sticky macaroons keep really well. They’re absolute heaven for coconut lovers
Makes about 2 dozen 2 1/2 to 3-inch cookies
7 egg whites
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
6 cups (16 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1. Combine the egg whites, sugar, honey, and vanilla in a bowl (or in a double boiler) and place over a large saucepan of simmering water. Cook and stir constantly for 8 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. The mixture will look milky in color.
2. Combine the coconut and flour in a separate bowl and toss to mix.
3. Remove the egg white mixture from the heat and stir in the coconut mixture. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
5. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets and set aside.
6. Remove the batter from the refrigerator and scoop with a 1/4-cup (2 ounce) ice cream scoop or by the heaping tablespoon and drop onto the prepared baking sheets about 3 inches apart.
7. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown but still soft and creamy in the center. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before removing the macaroons to a baking rack to cool completely.
variation: Dip cooled cookies halfway into 6 to 8 ounces melted semisweet chocolate; let stand 15 to 20 minutes for the chocolate to set.