Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd
and Seven-Minute Frosting
This makes a great holiday or special occasion cake.
Makes one 9-inch two layer cake
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons ( 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
6 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup canned coconut cream( such as Coco Lopez)
1 cup lemon curd (recipe follows)
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 recipe Seven Minute Frosting (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease and lightly flour two 9-inch (2-inch deep) cake pans and set aside.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir to mix.
4. Cream together the butter and sugar in a separate bowl with an electric mixer.
5. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffy.
6. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk and coconut cream. Stir just to mix and all dry ingredients are moist.
7. Whip the egg whites in a separate bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
8. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake 40 to 45 minutes until the cakes are firm to touch.
9. Remove the cakes from the oven and cool in the pans about 10 minutes. remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Once the cakes are completely cooled, use a long serrated knife to slice off the top rounded portion of each cake, to make a flat even surface.
11. Place one layer cut side down on the cake plate. Spread with the lemon curd and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the coconut. Place the other layer, cut side down, on top of the other layer. Spread the sides and top of the cake with the frosting and sprinkle with remaining coconut.