Sausage Sweet Potato and Corn Soup
We use country sausage in this soup but if you like it with a little more heat you can use a spicier sausage.
Yields 2 ½ Quarts
¾ pound country sausage, cut into ½-inch thick rounds
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
3 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
Kernels from 3 ears fresh white corn (about 2 cups)
1 pound sweet potato, peeled and cut in ½-inch dice
2 medium tomatoes, cut in small dice
6 cups chicken stock
1½ teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the sausage rounds on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, blotting off as much fat as possible.
3. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and the carrots have softened, about 15 minutes.
4. Add the corn, sweet potato, tomatoes, chicken stock, cumin, paprika, thyme, mustard, and red pepper flakes to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife
5. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.