Grilled Eggplant Parmesan with Fresh Mozzarella
This is a much lighter version of the traditional Eggplant Parmesan. Makes a great side or main course vegetarian dish.
4 tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
2 eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
6 basil leaves, cut into very thin strips, more to garnish if desired
3 cups your favorite tomato sauce
1 cup ( 4 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
1/2 cup julienned roasted red peppers
1. Prepare a hot fire in a gas or charcoal grill.
2. Place the sliced tomatoes and eggplant on a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
3. Combine the olive oil, garlic, vinegar and half the basil in a small bowl and stir to blend. Brush both sides of the tomatoes and eggplant with the mixture.
4 Grill the tomatoes about 1 minutes per side, just to give them the flavor of the fire.
5. Grill the eggplant about 4 minutes per side, until tender and golden brown.
6. Spoon enough tomato sauce on the bottom of a platter just to cover.
7. Place six of the largest slices of of eggplant onto the platter, top each with a slice of tomato. sprinkle of Parmesan, slice of mozzarella, another slice of eggplant, tomato, several slices of pepper, mozzarella, tomato and about 1/4 cup sauce. Garnish each with more roasted peppers, parmesan, basil leaves and additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve at room temperature or slightly warmed.