Farfalle with Chicken, Tomatoes, Caramelized Onions, and Goat Cheese
This pasta is loaded with appealing flavors: sweet onions and tomatoes, tangy goat cheese, earthy spinach.
Serves 4 to 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
8 ounces farfalle
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup low-salt chicken broth
6 heirloom tomatoes, cored, chopped (about 5 cups)
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (from ½ rotisserie chicken)
½ cup thinly sliced basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
3 cups baby spinach
3 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
1. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions; sprinkle with salt and cook until beginning to brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in vinegar and sugar; cook until onions are browned, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Transfer caramelized onions to bowl; reserve skillet.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain.
4. Add wine to reserved skillet. Boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, 3 minutes. Add pasta, onions, broth, and next 4. Season with salt and pepper. Stir over medium heat to warm through, about 3 minutes.
5. Divide spinach among plates. Spoon pasta over spinach. Top with crumbled goat cheese.