The traditional Mexican burrito takes on a whole new dimension in the hands of Sara Foster. Sara fills them with scrambled eggs and any number of ingredients, from ham and potatoes to brie, and serves the burritos for breakfast to her hungry customers. This recipe is one of her favorite combinations. For a no-fuss brunch, prepare as many of the elements in advance as you can.
Herb Cream Cheese (recipe below)
Roasted Plum Tomatoes (recipe below)
Salad Green Mixture (recipe below)
Scrambled Eggs (recipe below)
4 twelve-inch spinach tortillas
8 ounces smoked salmon
6 tablespoons alfalfa sprouts
1 small bunch basil, minced, for garnish
4 scallions, white part only, julienned, for garnish
½ small red onion, thinly sliced, for garnish
1. Prepare Herb Cream Cheese, Roasted Plum Tomatoes, and Salad Green Mixture. Prepare Scrambled Eggs, and keep them warm.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat on stove. Using a pastry brush, brush tortillas with olive oil. Grill each tortilla lightly on one side, for no longer than a minute (this will make the tortillas soft and easy to roll). Transfer tortillas, grilled side down, to work surface.
3. Divide Herb Cream Cheese among the tortillas, spreading evenly and leaving a 1-inch border.
4. Divide the smoked salmon, Scrambled Eggs, and Salad Green Mixture evenly among tortillas. Top with alfalfa sprouts.
5. Fold in opposite sides of one tortilla, and roll it up; do the same with remaining tortillas. Slice each burrito in half diagonally, transfer to a platter, and garnish with Roasted Plum Tomatoes, basil, scallions, and red onion.