Braised Chicken Thighs with Chevre Stuffing
Chicken thighs are rich in flavor and don’t dry out as quickly as chicken breasts. This fast, easy dish is also delicious without the chevre stuffing.
Serves 4 to 6
6 ounces creamy chevre
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 chicken thighs, boned (about 1 1/4 pounds)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
8 cups firmly packed spinach,washed, drained, and stems removed
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1. Combine the chevre, thyme, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and stir until well blended.
2. Rinse the chicken thighs and pat dry. Working with 1 thigh at a time, open the thigh, place it skin side down on a work surface, and spread about 2 tablespoon of the chevre mixture in the center of the thigh. Roll the chicken flesh over the stuffing to close, then secure with a toothpick or tie with kitchen string. Continue with the remaining thighs and stuffing, until all the thighs are stuffed.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until soft and translucent. Move the onions to 1 side of the skillet.
4. Add the chicken thighs and cook about 5 minutes on 1 side. Add the garlic and stir. Turn the chicken thighs and continue to cook 5 minutes more, until nicely brown.
5. Add the wine and chicken broth. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife in the thickest part. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
6. Add the spinach, parsley, and marjoram to the skillet and cook and stir about 2 minutes,until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the heat. Place a serving of spinach on each plate. Remove the string or toothpicks from the chicken and place 1 or 2 thighs on top of the spinach. Spoon the pan juices over the chicken and serve immediately.