Black Bean and Yellow Rice Salad
This colorful dish makes a great addition to a buffet or a tasty vegetarian main course.
Serves 8 to 10
2 cups dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
2 garlic cloves
1 cup long-grain white rice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 yellow onioin, diced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 scallions,trimmed and minced
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 ripe avocado
1 cup Foster’s Salsa (recipe follows)
1 cup Corn Bread Crouton, optional (recipe follows)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1. Quick-soak the beans” Place the beans and garlic in a large pot with water to cover by 3 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Emovefrom the heat, drain, rinse, nad set aside. Discard the garlic.
2. Rinse the rice in a sieve under running water until the water runs clear, and set aside to drain.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
4. Add the rice and stir to mix. Add the turmeric and just enough water to cover the rice by 1/4 inch. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
5. Combine the scallions, red bll pepper, jalapeno, lime juice, red pepper flakes, and remaining olive oil in a bowl and stir until mixed. Add half of this mixture to the beans and stir gently to mix. Add the remaining scallion mixture to the rice and stir gently to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Just before serving, peel and pit the avocado, and cut into 1-inch slices.
7. Put the rice mixture on a platter and top with the bean mixture. Place the salsa on top of the beans, top with the avocado, croutons, and cilantro. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. (If you are refrigerating, do not add the salsa, avocado, croutons, or cilantro until ready to serve.)