This dish can be made with almost any vegetable, but I try to choose those that require approximately the same amount of cooking, so they can go into and out of the oven at the same time. And, of course, choose your vegetables with the seasons in mind. Balsamic-roasted vegetables can be made several hours in advance and served at room temperature. Try them as a delicious side dish to accompany Roast Pork Tenderloin with Dried Cherries and Rosemary or Braised Chicken Thighs with Chèvre Stuffing. They’re also great as an entrée, served on top of a large platter of rice, couscous, or orzo.
Serves 8 to 10 as a side dish
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, and parsley, or 1 heaping tablespoon dried herbs
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch wedges
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 2-inch wedges
1 red onion, cut into 2-inch wedges
1 pint cherry tomatoes, stems removed
2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 head broccoli, stem removed, cut into florets
1 pound green beans, trimmed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Fresh herbs, to garnish, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, and herbs together in a large bowl. Add the sweet potatoes, squash, and onion and toss until the vegetables are well coated.
3. Transfer the vegetables with a slotted spoon (reserve the liquid in the bowl) to a baking dish and spread them out in 1 even layer. Roast them in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and slightly brown and the vinegar mixture has evaporated to a thick glaze. Stir several times during the cooking.
4. Meanwhile, toss tomatoes, red bell peppers, broccoli, and green beans with the reserved liquid, and spread them in 1 even layer in a separate baking dish. Roast them in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until the skin on the tomatoes starts to shrivel.
5. Gently toss all of the vegetables together in a bowl with any remaining cooking liquid until just mixed. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with fresh herb leaves if desired. Serve immediately or at room temperature.