We do many versions of this recipe, but always start with this classic creamy delicious mac and cheese.
Serves 6 to 8
1 pound orecchiette pasta
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 tablespoons(3/4 stick) unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, diced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 1/2 cups(6 ounces) grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh marjoram (or 2 teaspoons dried)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
3. Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Rinse and drain well. Put the pasta in a large bowl and toss with the sour cream until mixed.
4. Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes until the onion in translucent.
5. Stir the flour into the onion mixture and cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes, until the flour cooks and turns light brown.
6. Slowly whisk in the milk and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens, 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheeses and lemon juice until all is well blended.
8. Add the cheese mixture to the pasta mixture. Add the salt, pepper and marjoram and toss until well blended.
9. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbling around the edges and light brown on top. Remove from the oven and let rest about 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.