Our Chicken Broccoli Casserole is the perfect dish to bring to a potluck dinner.
Yields 1 9 x 12-inch baking dish
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick (about 2 ½ pounds)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 quart heavy cream
3 teaspoons dried marjoram
6 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced (about 8 scallions)
4 cups roasted chicken breast, shredded
5 cups broccoli crowns, blanched and drained under cold water (about 1 ½ pounds)
5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the sweet potatoes on 2 baking sheets and toss with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 25 minutes, until still slightly firm.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan combine the cream cheese and heavy cream and cook over medium heat until the cream cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Stir in the marjoram, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees
5. In a large bowl combine the chicken, broccoli and sauce and stir to coat all the ingredients.
6. Pour the chicken mixture in a 9 x 12-inch baking dish. Layer the sweet potato slices on top and sprinkle with a thin layer of cheddar cheese. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more until the cheese has browned slightly and the casserole is bubbling at the edges.